28 April 2016

#MAYBETRUMP!

Donald Trump.  

Not a fan, never have been.  

As a conservative, I’ve never viewed him as a true conservative.  As a fellow New Yorker, I am all too familiar with his real business history to see him as a creator of value.  As a student of history I see in some of his followers (more than in other strains of the conservative movement), a tendency to populism and nationalism that is uninformed and reactionary.

#NeverTrump?  Not quite.  #ProbablyNotTrump is more like how I’ve been feeling lately. 

#WhatisTrumpOfffering?  Can he make commitments to conservatism that make a difference to me?

I would likely be a #NeverTrump, I fall into that camp, emotionally.  But as I work out my options for November assuming a Trump nomination I have to do some calculations.

My wife and others have mentioned the possibility of outright voting for Hillary, based on her long experience, and the lesser of two evils theory.  I am seriously considering  Gary Johnson, a candidate I am closer to ideologically than either Trump or Clinton.  There is also the ongoing threat/discussion of a 3rd party conservative candidate, who might very well be someone I would be inclined to support.

Many of my conservative friends, inclined to the #NeverTrump lane, are considering the 3rd party option, likely voting for Gary Johnson if a conservative alternate does not appear.  Those inclined towards #NeverTrump insist that a vote for a third candidate is not a vote for Hillary Clinton. 

They are half right.  It is a vote for someone who cannot and will not beat Hillary Clinton.  I have traditionally been against protest votes, even when the Republican Party Candidate is not my preferred choice.  Until this race I have never seriously considered the option because while it is personally and ideologically satisfying to one’s integrity and one’s ego, the gesture is empty and essentially concedes the contest to the opposition.

I have not decided not to vote for Gary Johnson, I am still reserving my final decision, as Trump is as personally unpalatable a Republican Candidate as I have ever really contemplated. But…

One phrase keeps rolling about in my consciousness:

“IT’S THE SUPREME COURT STUPID!”

It is!  The Republican Senate is fighting a delaying action to prevent President Obama from replacing originalist Justice Antonin Scalia with liberal Merrick Garland.  Should they succeed, and every day that passes without a hearing is a tactical victory, then the next POTUS gets to choose the balance of the SCOTUS. Trump or Clinton!

Even if the GOP Senate folds, conservatives must consider the future of the Court.

While there is no guarantee that President Donald Trump would nominate an originalist, or even a conservative he has indicated a willingness to do so.  Hillary, on the other hand, will surely nominate liberals who would destroy what second amendment rights we have left while continuing the assaults on the first and the tenth.

Donald Trump cannot “Make America Great Again,” it IS Already Great.  He can and may do some harm to the nation, as Hillary Clinton surely would.  He is likely to in the end do great damage to the Republican party, it’s fabric, and its brand.  Will he do less harm overall than Hillary Clinton? Will I have to vote for him, despite my misgivings?


“It’s The Supreme Court Stupid!”



No comments: